Sunday, July 25, 2010

Painting with Haylie

I like painting. It's the prep work I'm not so crazy about, scraping and such. But painting new wood is fun.
Do I sound like Tom Sawyer? It looked so fun to Haylie that she had to paint too. But we still had time to "go in a-swimming" too! It was beach weather the whole time we were on Gotland.

When Tom Sawyer had a huge fence to whitewash on a beautiful day, Mark Twain wrote:
“Say - I’m going in a -swimming, I am. Don’t you wish you could? But of course you’d druther work - wouldn’t you? Course you would!”

Tom contemplated the boy a bit, and said:“What do you call work?”

“Why, ain’t that work?”

Tom resumed his whitewashing, and answered carelessly:“Well, maybe it is, and maybe it ain’t. All I know it suits Tom Sawyer.”

“Oh, come now, you don’t mean to let on that you like it?”

The brush continued to move.“Like it? Well, I don’t see why I oughtn’t to like it. Does a boy get a chance to whitewash a fence every day?”

That put the thing in a new light. Ben stopped nibbling his apple. Tom swept his brush daintily back and forth - stepped back to note the effect - added a touch here and there - criticized the effect again - Ben watching every move and getting more and more interested, more and more absorbed. Presently he said:“Say, Tom, let me whitewash a little.”

Somewhere in the middle of the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment