Tuesday, March 3, 2009

No wonder Donovan was mad about Saffron!


Gotland has a special dessert called a Saffron Pancake. We've eaten it several times when we've been there. I'd never used saffron, and was shocked when .06 of an ounce cost about $16 at the store. I looked at the little informational label under the saffron on the spice shelf there. It showed that it works out to over $200 a pound. Uff-da! Other requirements are rice pudding, whip cream (of course!) and salmbärssylt - a special berry that grows on Gotland on bushes. I received a jar of that for Christmas, so at least I had that.

Saffron is the dried stigma (receives pollen) of a crocus flower. The saffron I bought is called Spanish saffron. I only had to use about $5 worth of saffron for the recipe, which makes enough dessert for 10 people.


No comments:

Post a Comment